Guitars, one of the musical instruments is taken as the source of contentment, joy, and happiness. However, it needs certain tools to boost fulfillment in sounds. If those tools are not used according to the instructions or guide then consequences are noticed in the form of basement music – not so professional or with an ambiance. On the other hand, if the same tools are used appropriately, there isn’t any breakage in the music and ambiance is created without much effort.
Do you know which tool is taken as the best to create ambiance while playing guitar?
Well, discussing tools that leave an influence on the audience and impact on guitar include reverb pedals and more. In this article, we are going to discuss the best reverb pedal in 2020. However, to understand different brands, their distinct features, advantages, and drawbacks; it is very important to know the basics of reverb pedals.
Let’s start off with the fundamentals of reverb pedals 2019.
- 1 What is a Reverb Pedal?
- 2 Best Reverb Pedals 2020
- 3 Top 10 Reverb Pedals
- 3.1 Number 10: Biyang RV-10 Tri-Reverb
- 3.2 Number 09: Electro- Harmonix Holy Grail Max
- 3.3 Number 08: TC Electronic Hall of Fame:
- 3.4 Number 07: Xvive True Bypass Max Verb
- 3.5 Number 06: Strymon BigSky
- 3.6 Number 05: Eventide Space
- 3.7 Number 04: Mad Professor Kosmos
- 3.8 Number 03: Source Ventris Dual Reverb
- 3.9 Number 02: Earth Quaker Devices Afterneath
- 3.10 Number 01: Neunaber Immerse Reverberator
- 4 FAQs Associated to Reverb Pedal:
- 5 Last Verdict – Conclusion:
What is a Reverb Pedal?
Prior delving into the real essence of the article, let’s understand the meaning of the term “reverb pedals”. Reverb particularly is a sound that is developed when it is bounced back after meeting a hard surface.
Something that builds echo which is not too normal for a usual and common type. However, it is sound carried after hitting a hard surface and reflecting back to the audience (read as the listeners). Reverb pedals, in short, are custodians of stimulating and amplifying natural reverberations.
Guidelines to Buy Reverb Pedal
First thing first, we have to put everything in order to understand reverb pedal and its effect to make sense to comprehend the best ten reverb pedals 2020.
So, let’s start off with the basics…
Reverb is used as an abbreviation for reverberation which technically is a word used for sound and further sounds created out of the main one. For instance, when you knock at the door of an empty room, it creates a sound which bounces back. That happens within 0.1 seconds and is called reverb. Also, we have an example of clapping. When we clap in an empty room, it creates a sound and then bounces back. That does not echo but reverb. Reverb takes place within 0.1 seconds whereas echo takes more time to bounce back.
Laurens Hammond was the first person who introduced functionality of reverb springs in the year 1939. Later, during the same time, Hammond’s organs had instilled and build-in reverbs.
Types and categorization of reverbs:
Below is the categorization of main reverbs that every guitarist who uses reverb pedals comes across.
- Hall or Chamber Reverb:
Hall reverb which is also called and referred to as chamber reverb. This reverse makes the most out of the empty natural and ambient spaces. Which is why it is termed as hall reverse. The more spacious and open the hall will be, the better and atmospheric sound will be created. For example, in the church, it is will be extremely spacey and natural. However, it is for sure that the space you need to record sounds is not workable for many guitarists. It is because of the fact that it is not practical enough and doesn’t have a dedicated open space.
- Spring Reverb:
It gives a feel of a vintage effect which is because of the sound of metals of spring. Digitally it is easy to copy and mimic spring reverb. However, there are many famous manufacturers who make use of spring reverb in their amplifiers. In short, spring reverb is best for those guitarists who are into blues or rock n roll as it gives extra space or room to the sound and tone.
- Digital Reverb:
It is the most common and widely used reverb in recording effects. Digital reverb has the potential to replicate different reverberations and echoes that are created using natural sounds. Also, it permits to tweak sounds with different parameters like decay and attack.
- Plate Reverb:
Plate reverb and spring reverb are almost the same kind. The only difference is based on springs and plate. Otherwise, the sound is of the same metal. Springs have the short sound of metals whereas the plate has delayed sound.
Now that we know a bit about reverberation pedal, let’s discuss:
What is the importance of “controls” in reverb pedals?
Well, honestly, each pedal has its own characteristics and comes with its unique formulation of sound. However, each of them has the potential to get adjusted or tweaked according to the need.
Following are some of the main reverberation effects.
- Level or Mix
- Sway or Modulation
Best Reverb Pedals 2020
Here, in this section of the article, you are about to read top ten cheap reverb pedals. A simple description of the product along with the pros and cons wouldn’t do justice, right? That is the reason why we have worked hard enough and spent 201 hours to complete the research and come up with full information.
Find the best reverb delay pedal and then shortlist them so that we are ascertained about the right choices, the right recommendations, and the right need for all types of guitarists (newbies, mid-levelers, and the experts).
Each product mentioned below has a short introduction to the company or manufacturer, thorough description, advantages, disadvantages, and the reviews from the users.
Top 10 Reverb Pedals
Number 10: Biyang RV-10 Tri-Reverb
Biyang, the manufacturing company manufactured this beauty after getting inspiration from Boss RV-5. It doesn’t give fake echo and also has depth in spreading volume. Time decay is another factor which makes it ultra-useful and extraordinary. Considered best for creating ambiance and lusciousness in the environment.
Biyang RV-10Tri-Reverb typically comes in three standard types. First one is about A/B switch that actually toggles amid the intense A reverb to the darker and more natural B side. In total, there are six good reverbs to play with. Naturally with six reverbs, you get more melodious music than those which electrifies maximum three types.
Features that come as a total surprise with this reverb pedal are listed below:
- Weight is very light – 0.9 pounds
- Uses 9V batteries or an adapter (normal Boss make type)
- It is one of the models of Biyang Baby Boom
- The casing is made up of solid metal
- Creates three types of reverbs: Hall, Room, and Spring
- Massive control over time
- The current draw is ninety-seven (97) mA
- Manages the blending process easily
- Comes with two inputs and two outputs
- Darker as well as brighter sounds are switched with the help of A/B toggle
- Sounds start getting worse with the higher setting
Reviews from the users:
According to users and customers, Biyang RV-10 Tri-Reverb earns 4.7 stars out of 5. This rating has been done keeping 78 reviews. To the customers, the only flaw in this product is about the reverberate at a certain level. Otherwise, it is highly recommended and approved by the guitarists.
Number 09: Electro- Harmonix Holy Grail Max
Known for the durability, multi-functional reverbs in sound, and compactness in size are few reasons why Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Max is considered best among the rest. Despite the fact that there are a few flaws which make it less competitive in the eyes of professional performers, it still captivates the attention of many guitarists. Reason being, it has four reverbs out of which plate and reverse reverb are exceptionally good. Other two are moderately good as well. The best thing about these reverbs is the combination. It means when all four reverbs are mixed and matched, they create a pretty interesting and adventurous kind of sound.
Features that take the heart away of any performer or an amateur is based on the following traits. They make it going really nice and well.
- Controlling system is very strong and has multiple functions
- Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Max is compact – width is 4.0, length is 4.75, and height is 2.25
- The battery is not used as such because it comes with the power supply
- It is only 1.3 pound which is slightly more than the Biyang RV-10 Tri-Reverb
- Has four types of reverberations – plate, reverse, spring, and hall
- It fits and fixes on almost all pedal boards
- Quality of sound is bombastic
- Reverse effects are played uniquely and efficiently
- Considered best for those who are new in guitar recording
- Best for professional recordings as well as home studio
- According to some users, it is not responsive. Whereas, others think it is responsive enough for amateur use
- It operates through AC and not batteries
- A bit towards the expensive side
Reviews from the users:
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Max is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by 55 reviewers. Customers and buyers rated it 4.5 based on the biggest advantage of four types of reverberations and the way it operates.
Number 08: TC Electronic Hall of Fame:
So, number eight in the list is TC Electronic Hall of Fame. It is recommended by experts for several reasons. However, the need for this reverb pedal is not fixated to the quality of sound. It’s about design and pattern too. TC Electronic brand is known for its awesome functionality that allures listeners and audience without working much. Reason being, there are several types of reverberations included in the product. Besides that, this model has the ability to sync Tone Print in which the user is able to customize the tune according to the well-known guitarists.
Well, as far as features of this product are concerned, they are good enough to make a purchase. Yes, it is taken as one of the best and cheap reverb pedals 2020 because of features and advantages it possesses.
- Weight is very less as compared to other reverb pedals – 1.1 pounds
- Tone Print is facilitated too
- Tonal options along with intuitive depth are found
- Ten reverbs are noticed in TC Electronic Hall of Fame
- The user can customize reverb modes
- The pedal’s dynamics are very accommodating and strong
- Reverberation modes found in this product are cathedral, hall, spring, room, and room
- It also has True Bypass
- There is only one flaw which is linked to bit expensiveness
Reviews from the users:
According to users and customers, TC Electronic Hall of Fame has everything that a guitarist requires. It comes with literally zero drawbacks in terms of technology and features perspective. That is the reason why it is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Number 07: Xvive True Bypass Max Verb
Unique elements are always the source of contentment. Likewise, this reverberation pedal has few reasons why it is selected to be the part of ten top reverb pedals 2020. First of all, it is compact in size and doesn’t weigh much. Secondly, metal is used to manufacture it which makes the pedal robust and long-lasting. Despite the fact that there is a little delay in the effect but sound is still beautiful and serene. Hall, spring, and plate reverb modes are used in Xvive True Bypass Max Verb. Besides these traits, other features include the control in blending, control in timing, and True Bypass electrification.
Xvive True Bypass Max Verb is full of surprises. It holds unique elements to lure guitarists of every level. Features that make it special are mentioned below.
- One of the lightest reverb pedals – 236 grams
- This pedal has three reverberation sounds
- Mixes well with fully lubricated to extremely dry slates
- Reverb modes include plate, universal hall, and spring
- Has control in blending and mixing different modes
- Capabilities of True Bypass are present in this product
- Time control along with control in mixing makes this product even better
- The pedal is long-lasting and well-constructed
- There is a very small delay in delivering effect or impact
Reviews from the users:
Well, as far as customers’ and buyers’ satisfaction is concerned, Xvive True Bypass Max Verb has tamed the users by its flawlessness. That is the reason why it is rated 4.75 out of 5 stars.
Number 06: Strymon BigSky
Strymon BigSky is regarded as the best stomp box for those guitarists who want extraordinary tones and reverberations. This is one of those reverb pedals which do justice to professionals and performers of the field. Also, they are a bit costly which is why most professionals are able to buy this particular reverb. As far as sound is concerned, it produces astonishing and astounding reverbs. Flexibility is also to the maximum level. However, the dynamics of Strymon BigSky is overwhelming with the play and capability of producing jaw-dropping soar music. Therefore, the price in terms of all these points is justified.
- The pedal was multiple effects on the reverberation
- There are 12 different categories of reverbs. Shimmer, hall, spring are the main ones.
- Presets are customized. There are 300 of them in a normal count.
- Input is dealt with an expression pedal
- It is controlled by MIDI
- SHARC DSP is used for the optimum use of audio
- Comes with stereo and has vast controllable features
- The tone is customized as well as controlled according to need
- Can be tweaked as per need
- There are several presets too
- Affections and effects on the sound are out of this world
- A bit overweight as compared to other reverb pedals – 1.97 pounds
Reviews from the users:
Honestly speaking, these reverb pedals known as Strymon BigSky are pocket-friendly and have a lot to do with music and reverberations. Not that in use by performers but people who are new in the field. With the number of features and advantages, this reverb pedal is rated 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Number 05: Eventide Space
Obviously, everyone wants to go for the best product when it comes to buying a reverb pedal. Eventide Space is one of those pedals that give an instant boost to sound and creates personalized sounds within seconds. It is from the Eventide family and has Eclipse V4 and Eventide H8000FW processors. There are twelve reverbs in total which is either paired with delays or is used in their pure form. This reverb pedal is best for the home studio because it leaves a comprehensive ambiance with excellent sounds. However, the stompbox for this reverb pedal is magnificent in every aspect. No wonder, why this is set on a high price – it covers processors and features which are not found in other reverb pedals.
- There are around 12 reverbs of this pedal. They are spring, room, hall, reverse, tremolo verb, mangled verb, Dyna verb, shimmer, dual verb, mod echo verb, plate, and blackhole.
- The bypass is based on true analog
- MIDI control is maintained through USB or/and MIDI thru/out/in
- Cast metal and rugged construction
- It controls real time with the help of MIDI, ten knobs, or expressional pedal
- Also, it is compatible with solo musical instruments like drums and other mixes
- Premium and high-end reverberation and sound
- It is easily adjusted by anyone – newbie or an expert
- Stereo, as well as mono, functioned
- Eventide Space is also controlled by foot
- Programmed with HotSwitch
- Can change program instantly
- A bit pricey
Reviews from the users:
According to the users, Eventide Space is rated 4.4 out of 5 stars on the basis of processors and the outcome. It is pricy, yes. But has all the right reasons to be part of your musical journey. In addition to it, you will not regret making the purchase due to the fact that this one is highly inflicted by the experts and performers.
Number 04: Mad Professor Kosmos
It comes third on the list of reverb pedals 2020 for not one, but many reasons. First of all, it has a small footprint that is full of surprises in the form of features. This reverb pedal doesn’t only have a very standard on and off switch but also a freezing button. All three mixed together performs the best music and sound you have ever heard. When the swell reverb is changed it leaves with the better sound that triggers volume as well. Each patch in the reverb has a different parameter which controls the knob. Also, it has the potential to control the level, tone, and time. There are various modes and reverbs produced by Mad Professor Kosmos which brings attention in the space.
- Eleven modes are presented by the reverb
- Footswitch stops turn on and off, allows swells without using the volume pedal
- Weight is 300 grams which are really very light as compared to other
- Has LED light that turns on with effect
- Swell modes are more than excellent
- Textures are superb as well
- Has the ability to control time, tone, mode, and levels
- There are two swell sounds and two reverb delay sounds
- Also, three reverb shimmer sounds are present in Mad Professor Kosmos
Honestly speaking, it is just the price which makes it look a little difficult to buy. Otherwise, there are enough reasons to make a purchase of this product.
Reviews from the users:
Since there are many features in this compact reverb pedal, people who used it has given it 3.5 stars out of 5. It is always about the price that lays a deep impact on the buying factor. And that makes it say easily whether the reverb pedal is worth buying or not. That leads to the rating.
Number 03: Source Ventris Dual Reverb
Source Ventris Dual Reverb is totally a different pedal. It is because of the fact that it contains two separate reverbs which can be handled independently and on their own. Also, those reverbs are combined to produce mono as well as stereo performance. In total, there are twelve reverbs that are on the front panel. However, this reverb pedal is readily available through Neuro software. Some of the main traits of features of this reverb pedal are about the quality of sound, user-friendly pedalboard, and the comfortability involved in the functionality of reverbs. In short, with the help of Neuro app (it is an editing app), you can edit sound effects and keep it as you want – simple or complex.
- It comes in two in one form – one box has two reverbs
- Simple and decent footprint
- Neuro app makes everything easy to work on
- Neuro app also helps in achieving in-depth parameters
- Pretty easy to operate
- Routing options are there too
- Sound quality is excellent
- MIDI integrated
- It also has Neuro integration
- Quite flexible in terms of adaptability, mixing, and combinations
- Also has free of cost editing software
- The app (Neuro editing) still runs on beta
- Neuro app is not always available for reviewing
Reviews from the users:
This is one of those reverb pedals which comes out as the best for all types of guitarists. Customers and buyers love this reverb based on the features mentioned above. Also, it is pretty affordable which gives another plus point. That is the reason why it is given 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Number 02: Earth Quaker Devices Afterneath
First thing first, Earth Quaker Devices Afterneath are designed in a manner that they could provide ethereal reverberation effects. This could be achieved by the combination and assortment of delays (mostly short ones) worked in uniformity to set in six knobs. Control pedals and parameters of this particular product are brightness, length, and dryness of the sound. Despite the fact that this one is good enough for every guitarist, others are a bit better. It is because diffusion blurs out easily and moves from sharp tone to soft tone and then eventually washy tone. On the other hand, reflect effect regenerates and stays there for some time. Besides that, drag isolates delay which is piled for the dense reverb.
- There are a slow but best transition of wet signs to the dry side
- Control of length knobs over and decay length is commendable
- Dampen knob is adjusted with the tone
- To dampen the knob and fix tone, turning it on the clockwise will produce darker sound or tone
- It is functioned with the help of 9VDC adapter to charge the device
- Turning it anti-clockwise will brighten the tone
- Excellent quality of sound and reverberations
- Controls defuse and decay lengths
- It is unique in terms of otherworldly sounds
- Reflect controls basically help in regeneration of sounds. If you turn it clockwise, you will achieve wash and echoes. If you turn it anti-clockwise, it will take you too high to the self-oscillation side
- A bit pricy as compared to other reverb pedals
- Not that versatile
Reviews from the users:
It is rated as 4.3 out of 5 stars from those who have used and bought the product. According to them, it is one of the analog reverb pedals in 2020 because of the fact that it has perfect sounds. Also, delay and reverb are best together.
Number 01: Neunaber Immerse Reverberator
There are five controlling front panels that rule reverb level and type, time, level, depth, and other parameters which change according to the music patch. Dryness can be killed totally by running music on the stereo. Also, if it is in mono, then it is editable or formidable. The wet parameter is particularly best for stereo performance. Other than that, shimmer and hall modes are also peerless. In short, the setting of shimmer reverb is quite massive. But, you will go back and forth to shimmer reverb and apply various levels of modulations as well as depths to comprehend arpeggios of melodious lines.
- There are five controls. They are: reverb depth, effect select, echo time, effect level, and effect adjusting
- Also, there are analog dry effects to reduce noise
- It also has an external switch to kill dryness for the effects from loops
- The bypass is buffered with optimum quality and has external trails to switch it on and/or off
- It needs 9V or 12V electricity or power supply for pedals
- Stereo and mono use of inputs and outputs
- Footprint is small
- Eight reverbs are present in this reverb pedal
- Tones of shimmer are excellent
- Sounds are impressive and to die for
- Stereo sound is excellent too
- The only con is the price
Reviews from the users:
According to buyers and users, it is rated 5.0 out of 5 stars because of effects, the sound it produces, and everything in between.
FAQs Associated to Reverb Pedal:
All those who are new in the field of being a guitarist or have recently become part of the music world, have hundreds of basic questions in their minds. Some of the most common ones are mentioned in this section. That will give you a feel of knowing a bit more about the reverb pedals.
Question 1: Why reverb pedal is important for guitarists?
Answer: Reverb is used by professionals, experts, and even the amateurs. Reason being it creates space in different occasions and practices. Creating depth in the guitar by producing a mix and match is the main agenda of any reverb pedals. If guitarists don’t use these pedal tools then the sound that comes from the guitar remain very dry and doesn’t create a feel or ambiance. In other words, ambiance remains dry and less fun.
Question 2: How do we actually use reverb pedal?
Answer: Guitarists find easy to bring effect on sound during their performance by using different applications. Some of the most common ones are mentioned below:
- Smoothening the combination:
When guitarists add reverberations with the combination of decay and quick attack it fills the gap in the sound. You must have noticed the space between the selection of songs and the riffs which is quite appalling. At this point, there is a very small reverberation that actually smoothens the tone and sound. that is the one which aids in settling with sound.
- Abstract Texture:
Well, this is used when the guitar has to be completely changed from one texture to another. This means that you can adapt it in the full of features reverb. Otherwise, it is not a good idea to utilize abstract texture. However, if you want to bring some interesting additions in sound then controls like shimmer, decay, and tone can make some effect.
A little bit of reverb or sound can make a huge difference in effects. In other words, dryness in sound can be removed with the addition of padding some sound. however, with the help of delay, you will note repetitions of sound in a rhythmic manner.
Question 3: Reverb pedals are used in mixing. Why?
Answer: The main aim of reverbs is to add meaning to the sound caused by any instrument. The sound is positioned at medium but bright reverb will enable sound to excel in the mixing process. In short, reverb pedals are utilized in mixing so that sound is created in a better way. In addition to it, it means lots of good vibrations in the space to set the perfectness in the environment.
Question 4: Is it right to say that reverb sounds in the space are also known as an echo?
Answer: Sound that is reflected back from the reverb pedal is not echo. It is the sound that the listener experiences. This sound is bounced back after reverberations of different objects, ceiling, floor, walls, and etc. A significant difference between an echo and sound that bounces back relies on the closeness of bouncing back. If the sound is traveled deeper in the open space, the echo is formed. However, when the sound is close enough and arrives together then it is not an echo. That sound is the short reverberation.
Question 5: What is the main difference between reverb and an echo?
Answer: Both are unique and have nothing to do with each other. Reverberation is attained when the sound reaches back to your ear within 0.1 seconds. Anything that is heard afterward normally is categorized into echo.
Question 6: What is the functionality of “Effect Adjust Knob”?
Answer: Functions of adjusting knob changes as per the effect that is selected. For example:
- Hall and Wet = Modulation
- Spring = Low-cut
- Plate = Pre-delay
- +Echo and +Detune = Reverb Level
- Shimmer A and B = Shimmer Level
Last Verdict – Conclusion:
All in all, you can’t take reverbs lightly. When they are added, something serious happens. That is the reason why you have to be careful while adding any kind of reverb to your music. Guitarists actually consume a lot of energy and time to find the right reverb for their music. Also, it is a given fact that there isn’t anything like reverb in the market that can create the same sound or feel of the sound. Reverb pedals, when combined with echo pedal or delay, brings the best and most impressive effect.